Mixing RQ2/3

From: Viktor Haag <vhaag_at_rim.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 11:51:16 -0400

In another month or two, I'm going to start a group of mostly new to Glorantha players, taking them through 'Borderlands'.

I've pretty much decided to use RQ for this, and not HeroWars, for the primary reason that I think HW is much more suited to people already familiar with a basic notion of what Glorantha is all about.

Plus the fact that HW material for Lunars and Praxians is, at the moment, rather sketchy.

Also, the fact that our group is already well familiar with the BRP system, as we've played CoC a number of times.

So -- the big question: which RQ to use?

My notion was that, although I like the magic from RQ2 (i.e. basic magic, rune priests, etc, etc), there were a lot of mechanical improvements in other areas of the game system I thought (like ditching Defense in favour of a Dodge skill, a more rationalized skill system, slightly cleaner starting skill mechanics, separation of POW and Magic Points) in RQ3.

Has anyone else experimented with an RQ2/3 hybrid? Essentially, I'm thinking of using RQ3 with RQ2 magic (except holding on to MPs for spell casting Battle Magic).

Any gotchas people are aware of after experimentation along these lines?

If this isn't the right forum in which to discuss mechanical issues, please let me know where I should take this...

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #448