Re: Navigation

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 18:38:21 EDT

In a message dated 27/06/01 21:07:52, you write:

<< >>in Glorantha, the stars seem to me basically useless for positioning.>>

I am not sure this is true. You do need to know the date accurately in order to know where certain stars are going to appear from, using the tilt of the skydome and the 'horizon' or edge of the world. But this is essentially the longitude problem isn't it?

 <<Peter Metcalfe
>Which is the case in the Real World. What the stars are useful is
>direction finding.>>

If only the Pole Star were fixed then you would have problems, you would know which way the Pole Star was, but everything else would depend on the time and date. Fortunately we have the planets which do not rotate with the rest of the Sky Dome. Again, if you know where they are supposed to be then I think you should be able to work out where you are. How reliable the various paths are, and how accurate the observation is obviously in question.

 Alex Ferguson
>I consider this a "feature" myself, rather than a "bug". If
>one could readily "triangulate" one's position from a
>conveniently small sky dome, it would "feel wrong" to me.

I disagree with this. It does not feel wrong to me. It remains difficult but there are far worse things to worry a navigator; doom currents, hurricane winds, sea monters and terrible fogs amongst other things.

Keith N

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #453