Navigation

From: Jerome Blondel <bwbfc_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 00:11:52 -0000

Hi

From Keith Nellist
>But this is essentially the longitude problem isn't it?

Not on Glorantha! :-)

>Fortunately we have the planets which do not rotate with the rest of the
>Sky Dome. Again, if you know where they are supposed to be then I think you
>should be able to work out. How reliable the various paths are, and how
>accurate the observation is obviously in question.

Accuracy is a problem. Assuming Kalikos is infinitely far, if you're looking at the Red Moon from somewhere near Jrustela and measure the angle between the Moon and Kalikos, and then move some 400 km east and repeat the measurement, you would find a difference of less than 3 degrees. (you can check this with a protractor on any map of Glorantha)

Even if the Sky Dome was not infinitely far, it would still be "very far", much more distant than the red moon, so i doubt the observation be accurate by common Gloranthan means. But i don't know how accurate ancient instruments (other than one's fingers) were.

Alex Ferguson:
>True -- but if this triangulation technique were readily
>possible, making such charts would become both more easier
>and more accurate.

Now it looks like it can't be avoided... all of this without even casting a spell! Surely IMG the accuracy of the bearings is quite low... I like it to be an experimental technique, something very new, because before the Red Moon's rise it was not possible, and before the Opening there was little practical use.

>If tin compasses and accurate bearings on the RM are possible in Vithela,
>it's hard for me to entirely preclude the possibility.

Well, though most East Islanders probably don't need it, maybe their deep sea navigators know of that technique. And Tin Compasses could very well be from Kralorela actually.

Nils Weinander:
>Also, since the islands in the East Isles are much closer
>to each other than the island groups of Polynesia, I assume
>you can come a long way with the use of landmarks.

Yes, the East Isles aren't so well-adapted for navigational feats like those achieved by the Polynesians. The Maslo people (who incidentally use double-hulled ships!) look like good candidates for the most daring voyages in Glorantha, with that Hoom Jhis person who did three circumnavigations.

Jerome