Navigation

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 17:47:51 EDT

In a message dated 04/07/01 20:29:47, you write:

<< > If only the Pole Star were fixed then you would have problems, you would know
> which way the Pole Star was, but everything else would depend on the time
and
> date. Fortunately we have the planets which do not rotate with the rest of
> the Sky Dome. Again, if you know where they are supposed to be then I
think
> you should be able to work out where you are. How reliable the various
paths
> are, and how accurate the observation is obviously in question.

 I don't think they help at all. AFAIK, they all have the same appearance  in one place, as they do with the other, with the Red Moon (and maybe  Zenith?) being the exception.

I think I am assuming that the distance to the skyworld is not infinite, that is is a big bowl over the top of the lozenge and connects with the edge of the world, and that the Pole star is not always directly overhead but that it is always over Magasta's Pool. Therefore by looking directly up, seeing which star you are directly under and knowing where in Glorantha that star would be over at the moment of observation would give you your position. Am I still completely wrong or is it just my assumption about the size of the sky dome?

Keith Nellist