Re: Navigation

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 18:04:44 +0100 (BST)

Keith Nellist:
> I think I am assuming that the distance to the skyworld is not infinite, that
> is is a big bowl over the top of the lozenge and connects with the edge of
> the world, and that the Pole star is not always directly overhead but that
> it is always over Magasta's Pool. Therefore by looking directly up, seeing
> which star you are directly under and knowing where in Glorantha that star
> would be over at the moment of observation would give you your position. Am I
> still completely wrong or is it just my assumption about the size of the sky
> dome?

Incorrect assumption, I believe. The sky dome is either infinitely distant, or far enough away to be effectively so, given available precision of measurement, or looks that way from the inner world, due to a Strange Magical Effect (since it's not itself part of the inner world, after all) -- take your pick.

Also note that the apparent position of the Pole Star does move seasonally, as previous observed.