Differences in Communication

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_primus.com.au>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 14:17:30 +1000

At the risk of wandering totally off-topic:

MOB:
> PS Apologies also to Alex, whose reference to the 'bad old days' was
> clearly an ironic one, rather than facetious.

It's struck me from several electronic exchanges of late just how much we can still be divided by a common language. A finely wrought sense of irony is basic to an Australian sense of humour, indeed of being, it can easily be missed or misunderstood by other English speakers. Thinking it through, American humour especially seems largely devoid of this trait - at least according to my observations of American comedy broadcast in the Antipodes. Doubtless there are subtleties in others conversations that I miss completely as well.

Cheers

John

nysalor_at_primus.com.au John Hughes

The chieftain had been turned into a pumpkin although, in accordance with the rules of universal humour, he still had his hat on.

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #460