Re: Do We Speak My Language?

From: Topi Pitkanen <topi.pitkanen_at_helsinki.fi>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 12:19:57 +0300 (EEST)

> It's struck me from several electronic exchanges of late just how much
> we can still be divided by a common language. A finely wrought sense of
> irony is basic to an Australian sense of humour, indeed of being, it can
> easily be missed or misunderstood by other English speakers. Thinking it
> through, American humour especially seems largely devoid of this trait
> - at least according to my observations of American comedy broadcast
> in the Antipodes.

Would you people be intrested in conjuring gloranthan analogies for this phenomena? I immidately thought of Lunar Empire and it's diversly different nations and magical language of New Pelorian, which helps everybody undestand everybody else, the cosmos and themselves. Yet I bet there are those quirky subtle (but deep) differenses that lead to minor misundestandings which may be hard to overcome. Sure a Dara Happan can comprehend an Eolian, but really?

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #462