Lunar Peaceniks

From: Ben Waggoner <ben_at_aracnet.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 14:07:52 -0700

>> I remember reading something about students at the Lunar College of
>> Magic agitating for Peace in Sartar.  I wonder how they explain the conflict
>> to themselves.

> For some it may be the idealistic point of vue, for others it's "Why should
> I loose several year in this Goddess-forgotten barbarian area when I can got
> a good position here in Glamour", or "I just wanted to learn magic, not
> being raped and eaten by savages in those far-away hills !".

    And, taking the US experience during Vietnam as a reference, the positions can get quite blurred once you start agitating. My parents were Reed College '68, so stories about Anti-war movement, with both good and bad views of the participants and their ideologies, were definitely a part of our family mythology. Protest movements ala the WTO still both consciously and unconsciously echo the protests of the 60's, even when the issues are a lot less suited to it. I'm not sure how conscious the parallels were, but remember the Vietnam War and the struggle against it were going on through the formative years of Glorantha. And the demographics of those responsible in its creation would suggest that this is something they would have felt strongly about.

    Beyond the White Moon folks, what do factions think about the war in Sartar in the Lunar Empire? From the Vietnam experience, I'm sure we'll see some of:

Idealistic kids opposed the the use of coercive force in general, without a lot of sophistication, but a real passion.

Scared kids who don't want to die in the gors with a spear in their gut, from some mythological struggle they don't feel like a part of.

Yelmic elders wanting to destroy Rebellious Terminous once and for all.

Bitter romantics, generally too old to serve, who believe the kids today are soft and unappreciative of the sacrifices the empire required, and need a good war to toughen them up.

Shargashi and other warriors looking for glory and death.

Loyal patriots who simply can't justify the cost and bloodshed of the southern campaign, and who believe victory is fundamentally unobtainable.

Religious Lunars who understand that the way to the faith is not through force of arms.

Conservative Loyalists who can hear many of the arguments against, but cannot stomach the thought of the glorious Empire ever admitting defeat, and hence who push for ever increasing escalation.