GlorLang

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 06:38:02 -0700 (PDT)

> Would you people be intrested in conjuring
> gloranthan analogies for this
> phenomena?

sure.

> I immidately thought of Lunar Empire and
> it's diversly different
> nations and magical language of New Pelorian, which
> helps everybody undestand
> everybody else, the cosmos and themselves. Yet I bet
> there are those
> quirky subtle (but deep) differenses that lead to
> minor misundestandings
> which may be hard to overcome. Sure a Dara Happan
> can comprehend an Eolian,
> but really?
>
> - -Topi

If they are both Lunars, the answer could be "yes". I think that in Glorantha, Languages convey ideas, culture, even magic, so if two individuals share the same language they share more than the use of words and phonems, especially if the language is an artifical one (like New Pelorian and Tradetalk) used for specific purposes (for trade or for ruling).

So a Lunar Dara Happan using New Pelorian to comprehend a Lunar Eolian, can fully comprehend him.

But a Dara Happan using New Pelorian as a media to speak to a Eolian, being New Pelorian the only common language even if neither of them is a Lunar (both of them have learned NP for practical purposes but without sharing the Lunar philosophy underneath), could not at all comprehend each other.

I hope the above is comprehensible :) (even if I don't read/write New Pelorian)

Ciao,
Gian

Do You Yahoo!?
Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/