Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #463

From: Oliver Bernuetz <oliver_bernuetz_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 16:19:06 -0500

Chris Graham wonders :

>Hi
>
>Well if zombies have souls (sorta) what's to stop stormbull personally
>attempting
>to retrieve the captured souls of stormbull worshippers who have fallen
>victim?
>Isn't there something in cults of Prax stating that stormbull would take
>such a
>personal interest? It could alway be cult propaganda eh?
>And if zombies don't have souls how can they retain the brainpower to wield
>weapons at the same skills percentage (subject to dexterity). Now if souls
>and
>brain power are not linked then i'm on shaky ground. I would have thought
>any god
>would be mightily annoyed that a worshipper is not enjoying he good life
>and have
>been converted into a zombie.

According to http://www.pantheon.org

"In the voodoo-cult of the Caribbean, a zombie is a soulless body that serves a sorcerer as a slave. The soul could have left the body through the regular death rituals, but could also have been removed from a living body by the power of the sorcerer."

One of the ways a zombie can be destroyed is to unstitch its mouth and put some salt in. (Why it's just letting you do this I don't know:-))

Most gods are unable to intercede in the mortal realm in such a fashion. Now they could contact followers I suppose and get them to do something but that seems excessive in most cases.

Oliver