Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #467

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 14:14:41 -0500

Ben Waggoner says:

> That seems a lot more difficult to do. Perhaps your friends have to
>round up the killer and make them repent? Or your absence would have to
>make something so hideous back home that they change their mind.

        If you can get your killer to come to Hell after you, don't they have to repent? Or suffer some terrible calamity. Assuming you have Justice on your side, of course.

> Anyone know anything about Lunar resurrection? I gather YA has some
>kind of auto resurrection.

        The Goddess brought herself back from the Underworld (although I think she got lost in the process). That whole Full to Empty to Full cycle seems a natural for resurrection magic. Yanafal Tarnils overcame Death when he proved himself to Humakt, so there's another route. Jakaleel the Witch controls spirits -- perhaps there's some way for her to find souls in the Underworld and give them new bodies. Danfive Xaron is all about renewal (and the TotRM write up had him hide in the Underworld for a while) -- perhaps there's some way for a worshipper to use Him to rturn to life (although that would probably be as bad as staying dead -- DX is not exactly charitable).

> One exception to the general "help" is Argrath, who seems to have really
>wanted Sheng and nobody else. Before we talked about some alternative
>useful folks he could have asked for, like the OOO, or even Harmast himself.
>And was his quest unique in being offered a choice of who to bring back? Or
>can you bring someone back who is worshipped?
> Perhaps Argrath knew how to ask for a particular person back because he
>was a part, or even a subject, of a resurrection ritual once.

        Of course, most of the Agrath information is much later and has a lot of "spin" on it. Maybe his supporters assumed that he intended to bring Sheng back because a) that's who he got and b) it more or less worked. Perhaps Sheng was released from Hell because he was the Emperor's (and Empire's) foe, and the Goddess decided it was time for the Empire to fall (cycles and all that). Maybe Agrath could have been stopped, but he was serving the Plan. Kallyr, who wasn't, wasn't so lucky....

Stephen Tempest says:

>Presumably an LBQ isn't just an advanced Resurrection spell: "Bring
>someone back from Hell": you should also be able to perform it as a
>way of convincing/forcing your enemies to put aside their hostility
>and ally with you. Or an LBQ could even be a way to ambush and
>capture a Chaos foe and integrate its powers into the world...

        The more I think about it, the more I think the LBQ isn't about resurrection at all. It's the source of CA's resurrection powers, but it's real purpose is to change the world. The "get a dead guy to help you" effect is not the major one. If you can influence how Aracne Solera weaves her web, you can change the rules of the world. Perhaps which gods are present holding which strands is a key. After all, the original LBQ didn't just bring Yelm back -- it ended the reign of the gods, created time, made chaos manageable within the world, made mortality bearable, and on and on. Harmast's LBQs brough the Old World to a decisive end -- most of the Old Races are pretty much done for at the end of the Gbaji Wars; it's a human world. Apparently Agrath does the same but even more so. maybe too many LBQs are like writing on magnetic media over and over and over again -- bleedthrough, incomplete erasures, corrupt data, soon nothing works at all.

Peter Larsen

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #468