Arkat Questions

From: Nick Brooke <nick_at_etyries.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 22:35:49 +0100

Ben Waggoner responded to Greg with a few assumptions:
>> But then, Arkat eventually retired from the god-killing business, gave
>> up [some of] his powers, and settled down in a nice quiet little Dark
>> Empire of his own in western Ralios...

> Say, was Arkat still a troll at this point? I assumed so, but...

The people who knew him best say he wasn't. (G:IttHW p.31 - "After the battle Arkat was no longer a troll, or so said his friends, and so did many trolls.")

>>> Anyone know if Arkat was simply killed, or was he intentionally trapped >>> in hell?

>> Arkat was killed by Palangio the Iron Vrok.

> Check. So he wasn't intentionally trapped in a particular hell or
anything,
> just good and dead.

Not necessarily. 'Lords of Terror' p.17 says, "No one expected the return of Arkat. He had not only been killed but his essence was captured and imprisoned in a place where normal human souls could not go."

This is from a Lunar account of the Gbaji Wars "which agrees with most reliable sources" (p.16).

> Ah. So there was resurrection of the recently dead BEFORE the LBQ.

According to the same 'Lords of Terror' account, nobody had ever been resurrected *by mortals* previously. Gods had done it (Orlanth; Yelm; presumably Chalana Arroy), but not living folk.

Alex wrote:

>> Admittedly, this is a drastic step just to get a copy of Harmast's saga.

> I don't want this to start to sound like a Dutch Auction, but since
> you mention it, two parts of same are currently available to GTA
> Runemasters...

The distinction between "Harmast's Saga" (Lightbringer's Quest) and "Life of Harmast" (initiation quest) is highly significant. Loose lips sink ships. Don't be sold a pup.

I agree, however, that paying many hundreds of dollars to Issaries, Inc. is a Good Thing, if you can afford to do it and think it's worth doing.

Cheers, Nick