Fwd: Re: Humakt in risen from the dead shock

From: simonh_at_msi-uk.com
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 10:31:26 -0000

Julian Lord :

>But Humakt is a special case, because he is the god of Separation.
Humakt's
>sword is actually a barrier (or a frontier, or a passage, or an
edge)
>between the Living World and the World of the Dead, which means that
>Humakt's presence in both places is unusual.

Hmmm... I think I disagree. Humakt is definitely dead, and I can't think of any sense in which he can be said to be alive. he's barred from
personal participation in the world by the Compromise anyway, so it's a moot point.

> ...Unlike the other
gods,
>he is in both places all of the time, and doesn't really go through
the
>normal cycle of Life/Death as most other gods do.

There are plenty of other gods of hell - most troll gods for example - that in much the same possition as Humakt in this respect.

>I don't think so. I think that he is both dead and living at the
same
>time. He certainly wasn't resurrected.

I can't see how that could work. How is that different from "Humakt : God of the Zombies"?

>What he actually did (according to the Sword of Life myths) was
>to kill Death itself, which is that he separated it from the Middle
>world and sent it into Hell

It was already in Hell. Surely it was Trickster who brought Death into the world?

>God world in the form of his Sword, and as the Power to guarantee
>the Cosmic Compromise.This is also why he is the Oath-Keeper god.

Definitely. That's a very theyalan attitude.

> ...Also, if he does have a Great Secret
>(Become One With Death) you would actually have to violate
>your god and all of his oaths and possibly the Compromise
>itself to attain it.

His Great Secret is learned by all mortals in the end - the experience of Death. It is the awful weight of this knowledge that burdens the souls of the dead.

Simon Hibbs

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #487