Dead things

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 15:22:09 -0500

Julian Lord says (responding to several posts):

>But Humakt is a special case, because he is the god of Separation.

        Here I thought Shargash killed him, just like he killed everything else before he killed himself (or let himself die, because there was nothing left to kill).

>Humakt is probably a Greater God, or would be if the cosmos
>weren't so terrified of acknowledging him as one or if other
>major Gloranthan entities didn't jealously keep portions of
>Death for themselves.

        I disagree. I think part of being a greater god is having many aspects and being able to do many things -- Orlanth kills and heals, herds and farms, dispenses justice and causes discord. Ernalda heals, rules, and represents the wide functions of the Earth (as well as the changing roles of females from birth to death). The Red Goddess has many faces, and even Shargash represents both death and life. Humakt in contrast, only separates (living and dead, truth and lies).

        Additionally, to be a greater god, I think a significant portion of a society must be focused on a diety. A society that was focused on Humakt would, I think, quickly starve.

Quoting someone (sorry, I forget who):
>> so where does he get off on
>> > stopping his followers returning from the dead? he doesn't strike me
>> > as being a hypocritical kind of god.
>
>It's simply what he does. He separates the living from the dead.
>All good Humakti do the same, especially as pertains to themselves.

        Additionally, the Dawn was a special event. Many old laws were swept away, and new laws took their place. Humakt did not so much return to life as He returned to his place -- separating the living and the dead. Some gods remained "dead" because the Underworld is the only place they belong (e.g. "Monster Man" who was overcome by Lodril and the non-chaotic (if any) "Zombie Gods" Humakt fought). Other gods returned to "life" because they had places in the upper world (most of them, in fact). Some gods (e.g. Kygor Litor) have a place in both worlds. Humakt is not offended by Yelm's progression, because Yelm is true to his role and station (Well, Carmanian Humakti -- the Orlanthi probably just ignore this -- Elmal is their sun, and he doesn't die).

        And, as Julian points out, Humakti myths, especially Heortling Humakti myths, are only part of the story. Looking for the one, true underlying answer is the route to Godlearnerism and madness....

Peter Larsen