Great Humakt

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 10:23:47 +1200

Peter Larsen

>JL>But Humakt is a special case, because he is the god of Separation.

> Here I thought Shargash killed him, just like he killed everything
>else before he killed himself (or let himself die, because there was
>nothing left to kill).

You are mixing mythologies which makes your conclusion flawed. Humakt and Shargash come from separate cultures and do not interact in the world-destroying stage. If you want a God Learned explanation for this, you can blame it on the disintegrating world.

> >Humakt is probably a Greater God, or would be if the cosmos
> >weren't so terrified of acknowledging him as one or if other
> >major Gloranthan entities didn't jealously keep portions of
> >Death for themselves.

>I disagree. I think part of being a greater god is having many
>aspects and being able to do many things -- Orlanth kills and
>heals, herds and farms, dispenses justice and causes discord.

Under another definition, a greater god was one that owned a rune (thus Uleria for love, Orlanth for air). Humakt certainly fulfills this criteria with his death rune ownership.

>Shargash represents both death and life.

Shargash does not represent life. His Death is necessary for Life to exist but that is different.