Humakt in risen from the dead shock

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 22:56:57 +0200

Simon :

> Peter Larsen : > Additionally, the Dawn was a special event. Many old
> > laws were swept away, and new laws took their place.

This is a very good argument IMO.

> Gods, and indeed mortals, can be reborn.

Yes, but if they are it is *always* the violation of some cosmic rule.

With the unusual exception of the LBQ.

> This is not a direct affront
> to Humakt because he is not anti-life.

No : Humakt IS Death, therefore Anti-Life. By definition.

> Zombies and other undead are not
> alive. They have not been reborn and are still definitely dead, so
> their
> proper place is in hell. I think that when Yelm rises in the morning
> he
> is reborn. Each day is a new beginning for him, and hence for the
> world.
> Humakt has no problem with that.

Right.

Perhaps, such unnatural creatures as zombies simply don't partake of the Compromise ?

> He has no power over, or understanding of the processes of
> resurrection and rebirth.

This isn't true. The Havan Vor write-up will, one day (I hope), clarify this.

> Finally, with regard to Kyger Litor, and other troll or hell gods. I
> believe Kyger Litor is, by nature, exclusively a being of the
> underworld.

Well, the Underworlds have mixed natures.

There isn't a single underworld.

And Kyger Litor has a mixed nature (from a human POV).

"Kyger Litor" and "exclusively" don't really fit into the same sentence IMO.

> To summon Humakt personally into the world would be
> the death of everything. Just as the radiance of Yelm lights up the
> whole
> world, and the winds of orlanth extend across the whole world, so the
> manifest force of death would slice through all life.

This is a nice idea, but I disagree anyway. Humakt IS personally present in the world (at the very least according to the terms of the Compromise), whilst Death is, according to Humakt's mythology, the guarantor of Life.

> Humakt is manifest in hell. You can journey there and talk to him if
> you like. You can meet him there face to face.

And any other god.

Mere glamours in my humble, mystical opinion... ;-)

Julian Lord.