Humakt

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 09:38:31 -0700

At 11:45 AM 8/16/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>> > 1) how did Humakt get there?

Humakt IS there. He is Death. He is From there. His presence is a return ot there. His air aspect which he severed was just a way to get to this world of the living and express itself.

>In one way, he killed *himself* by performing the Severance from
>Kin ritual.

Better to say: Humakt IS severance, and it was manifest even in the severance from kin ritual.

>But the difference between metaphor and mythic truth
>is a little blurred here (A Good Thing IMO) ...
Myth is metaphor. Every meaningful statement, image or feeling from a myth means several things at once.

>> I'm not aware of any written myths of Humakt slaying chaos - at least not
>> comparable to those of Urox - but his followers would doubtless know some.

I do not think the core hUmakt has any anti-chaos bias. It just isn't an enemy of Death. However, many subcults (being part of Orlanthi society) adopt and help the general Orlanthi social system, which fears chaos.

>> > 3) if he was dead, then he must have been resurrected along with
>> > eveyone else during the compromise.
>
>I don't think so. I think that he is both dead and living at the same
>time. He certainly wasn't resurrected.
>
>What he actually did (according to the Sword of Life myths) was
Julian makes a good response after this. Please understand that this sort of raisin gof a deity to such High God knowledge is the kind of belief and practice that an initiate of that deity would have. Non-humakti don't beleive that EVERYTHING hinged on Humakt, but the initiates who have started their experiences with the secrets start to learn those things.

>It's simply what he does.

Actualli, what he IS.

>He separates the living from the dead.

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #491