Humakt in risen from the dead shock

From: simonh_at_msi-uk.com
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 10:31:33 -0000

Julian Lord :

>> Finally, with regard to Kyger Litor, and other troll or hell gods.
>> believe Kyger Litor is, by nature, exclusively a being of the
>> underworld.
>
>Well, the Underworlds have mixed natures.
>
>There isn't a single underworld.

This is true, I was being far too simplistic.

Each otherworld, be it sorcerous, theist or animist, will incorporate part of heaven and part of hell, or the underworld if you prefer.

Human otherworlds, such as the Orlanthi otherworld, include Orlanth's Stead in the Storm Age, where nobody is dead and everyone is an archetype of the ideal cottar, carl, huscarl, etc. That's definitely in heaven. The Orlanthi otherworld also includes Humakt's Sword Hall which is full of the souls of dead warriors, and is definitely in hell.

But for trolls, the otherworld and the underworld are the same thing. The trolls have no place in heaven. They have no myths of the middle world before the darkness when there was hell on earth.

Would argue that just as the city of Alkoth is part of the underworld, so by definition if Kyger Litor were to manifest in the surface world, she would bring hell with her. The nature of the world would by necessity have to change for allow it to happen.

This is what is going on in the Hero Wars. As heroes call forth mythic forces into the world, they change the structure of the cosmos in dangerous and poorly understood ways.

Peter Larsen :

>>Humakt is manifest in hell. You can journey there and talk to him if
>>you like. You can meet him there face to face.

> Is He? His followers claim that His Sword Hall encompasses the
>Underworld (Storm Tribe, p.89), but Kygor Litor, Shargash,
Deshkorgos, and
>others might object to this...

You're mixing mythologies again.

Sartarite : "Humakt's Sword Hall encompasses the Underworld." Troll : "What is Humakt? I don't know this name. What is a sword hall?"
Sartarite : "Humakt is Death, the god of endings. It is his place." Troll : "You speak the truth, but we know other names and secrets of this thing."

Simon Hibbs