Re: Vinga =/= great god

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 09:04:29 -0700 (PDT)

Peter Larsen suggests in passing that Vinga might be a great god. I'll set aside the definitional issue of what makes a great god and use (a paraphrase) of Petr Larsen's definition: a great god is one that provides its followers all the major roles in a culture. By this definition, I don't think Vinga qualifies because she has no fertility/growth aspect. Her closest role is protectress of women in labor. I don't think that The fact that her followers can join any Orlanth sub-cults does not mean that she is providing the role; she just enables her followers to fulfill a role provided by Orlanth.

I like Vinga, but I don't think she is a great god.

Chris Lemens

Do You Yahoo!?
Make international calls for as low as $.04/minute with Yahoo! Messenger http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #494