Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #494

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 06:27:35 -0700 (PDT)

> From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu>
> Subject: Humakt and Uz.
> The Underworld descends to the Primal Darkness where
> things are undifferentiated. This is why Kygor Litor
> can be the vast number of things she is. The gods of
> death are all fearsome, not only because death is
> scary, but because they are in the Underworld and
> they have to keep themselves themselves. Similarly,
> where Kygor Litor comes to earth, it's not only a
> question of people dying of fright and getting
> eaten and stuff, but there's also the danger of
> losing your way in the darkness and becoming
> undifferentiated. Humakt separates the Living and
> the Dead in a way that Zorak Zoran does not because
> Uz don't necessarily care about those distinctions
> as much. They are used to living with the
> ambiguities of Darkness.

Nicely said. The one thing I would take out is the connection to Darkness, for several reasons, though it is very poetic. First, Aldrya's otherworld is also part of the Underworld. I doubt it is characterized by Darkness. (Though, coming from a human point of view, it is as easy to get lost in the woods as lost itn he dark. So to the extent you were describing the sychology of humans facing elder races, your point would still be valid.) Second, Darkness is a distinct element, not undifferentiated primordial pre-element. Third, uz have a sense that allows them to see in darkness, so darkness is muc less ambiguous than to a human. I think the ambiguity of the underworld is simply a feature of the underworld. I liked you description, though, as how humans would react to the uz underworld. I think they would react to the Aldryan underworld rather as some books have people react to fay magic: dangerous stuff where you can lose your identity altogether.

Chris Lemens

Do You Yahoo!?
Make international calls for as low as $.04/minute with Yahoo! Messenger http://phonecard.yahoo.com/