Re: Humakt

From: Stephen Tempest <gd_at_stempest.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 01:07:09 GMT

>Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 09:38:31 -0700
>From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
>Subject: Humakt
>
>I do not think the core hUmakt has any anti-chaos bias. It just isn't an
>enemy of Death.

I'm not sure I'd agree with this: if Humakt is Separation, then surely Chaos is the opposite of that: Chaos stands for random intermingling, entropy, and corruption - in other words, the breakdown of the natural laws that should keep things separate and distinct. During the Greater Darkness people could even no longer tell apart the living and the dead - a Humakti's worst nightmare. It seems to me that Humakt's Sword, by forming the barrier between the worlds, also preserves those worlds from dissolving into one another: that Humakt is all that stands between Glorantha and the triumph of Chaos (at least, that's how the Humakti would see it).

That would also be why Humakti hate undead - they are an unliving reminder of the Greater Darkness, and their continued existence threatens to weaken the barriers and return us all to that time. I suspect that to a true Humakt worshipper, all undead are Chaos-tainted, even those created by cults which claim to oppose Chaos themselves.

Stephen