Uleria

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 17:37:33 -0500

Patrick Anders says:

>Well, Uleria is the sole surviving member of the Celestial Court.

        Larstne is also a survivor, although a crippled one. I suspect that the Trickster (not just Eurmal) is also a survivor, but trying to pin down anything about the Trickster is problematic.

>across many cultures, and in many ways qualifies her for "greatness" of
>itself. No mortal worships Arachne Solara (except possibly Cragspider the
>Witch, to the extent she's mortal), but none of the cultures that
>acknowledge her would deny her greatness.

        I'm not using "great" as a superlative, but as a specific classification of deity. See Hero Wars, p.175 (or my last few posts). Another possible definition or two appear in Mr. Metcalfe's recent posts. "Aracne Solera" is definitely not great according to the Hero Wars deinition, but then I'm not sure She's a god or any other definable kind of Gloranthan being. Uleria may or may not, depending on

>My opinion is that gods gain strength simply from their prominence in myth,
>even the myths of those who don't worship them. A good example is Zorak
>Zoran [snip]

        I don't know about this. It is as likely that the most important deities (on whatever scale) will impact many myths. I don't think that Zorak Zoran is as minor as you think, either -- he's a big deal with the Uz, and he has his role in Prax as well (as the Black Eater, a major figure amoung the Morokanth, If Drastic: Prax) is to be believed.

>And on that basis Uleria, who also spans pantheons albeit in a more
>benevolent way, is surely a great goddess. Love counts for something.

        No more than Stasis, Movement, Truth, or Illusion.... Trickster is pretty universal, but he can't be the core of a society. Neither can Mastakos, for that matter (although both would be great by Mr. Metcalfe's scale, so take your pick).

Peter Larsen