Re : Great Gods

From: Herve.Ancelin_at_skf.com
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 18:33:46 +0200

Me
>>IIRC (talking about Uleria with Greg, Alex and Nick at last Tentacles) it
>>seems that merely liking somebody or something is worshipping Uleria.

Peter Larsen
>But I'm not sure the priests, sorcerors, and shaman who interact
>with this Univeral Uleria would recogize the unity of their "deity." Peter
>Metcalfe may be right, "Universal Orlanth" (who is Air) may exist,

Not may, is :

Quoted from http://www.glorantha.com/greg/q-and-a/big-god.html

       Orlanth is present in the entire moving atmosphere
       of the central world, in the Underworld as quester
       and rescuer, in the sky with his own weird constellation,
and
       For instance, Orlanth collects some collateral worship
       through Entekos, the Dara Happan Atmospheric Goddess.
       Orlanth also collects collateral worship through the
       sacrifices made to Worlath, an inferior manifestation of him.

As I understand it, any interaction with Air, even building a windmill, is a worship of Orlanth.
This is because Orlanth is a Great God aka holder of Primal Rune.

>but with so many masks (of which "Orlanth" is just one (although a very
>important one)) that assembling them into the shape of this Universal Air
>would drive anyone except the Godlearners absolutely mad (and they were
>already loopy).

That's why worship of Great Gods is limited to one of their aspects.

Look at the Secret of Great Gods :
Orlanth : Be Air
Ernalda : Be Earth
Is it a coincidence that they are : Be my Primal Rune ?

IMO, the whole Orlanthi Humakt Cult is an aspect of Humakt the Great God holder of the Death Rune. The Carmanian cult is another as well as the Broo one.

>From the point of anyone except the divine Narrator (and the
>posters on the list), this is the most insane speculation.
>Even the Disciples of Orlanth know who they worship, and it's Orlanth.

Well I think that it is true for a backcountry Carl but I don't think so for Kallyr or Argrath. Those who wandered enough in the Otherworlds will guess it.

Hervé Ancelin