Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #502

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 11:37:38 -0500

Peter Metcalfe says:

> >But they are working to change it; clearly, the Lunars think
>>that Orlanth can be replaced. It may be true now, but, if the Lunars
>>have their way, it won't be in the future.
>
>Even if the Lunars think what you say they do (they don't),
>they _cannot_ have their way simply because the Cosmic
>order can't be changed.

        The Red Goddess is in contention for Rulership of the Middle Air. Worship of Orlanth is suppressed everywhere the Lunars can reach and replaced with similar but friendlier gods. Lokamayadon seems to have attempted a similar thing in the 1st Age. Clearly, people (and very knowledgeable and powerful people) think the Cosmic order can be seriously bent if not changed.

> > >The Pelorians do not die without Humakt and he is acknowledged
>> >in their pantheon as "Urnbudud" (GRAY p56).
>
>>Was Urnbudud killed by Shargash?
>
>That makes as much sense as asking whether Humakt killed Death.

        Well, if Humakt appears in Pelorian mythology as Urnbudud, wouldn't that make him part of all the gods, etc. killed by Shargash before he died himself? Or are we talking about "Humakt the Power of Death" as opposed to "Humakt the Heortling Deity?"

> >Even when Yelm was taken to be the Evil Emperor, Yelm and
>>Elmal remain separate.
>
>That's correct. Elmal is not Yelm even though Yelm is the
>Great God of Elmal's element. This is no different from
>Urox not being Orlanth even though Orlanth is the Great God
>of Urox's element.

        But Urox is _a_ wind while Orlanth rules all the winds. Elmal and Yelm are both the Sun.

Peter Larsen
- --

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #503