Odds and ends

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 23:58:41 -0500

Peter Metcalfe says:

>>OK, fine, but I don't think you'll get worshippers of the gods
>>admitting that [Orlanth is a Great God]

        I realize that is what that comment looked like, but my intention was to suggest if there were "3 Big Air Gods" (like there are many "Big Sun Gods"), their worshippers wiould not necessarily recognize this.

>>I can't imagine that the Lunars would set out to drive
>>Orlanth from the Middle Air if it couldn't be done.
>
>Because they don't know that it can't be done? It's
>like saying "I can't imagine that the Alchemists would
>set out to turn base metal into gold if it couldn't be
>done."

        More like saying that "I can't imagine that people would set out to build a rocket to fly into space, since it fits within our understanding of science, and all the experiments up until know have showed that our theories are true." I'll repeat: if the Lunar plans are inherently unworkable, then it makes the life and death struggle in Dragon Pass sort of anticlimactic.

>Well, it follows naturally from "Humakt then showed the secrets
>of his honor and justice [to his brother]..." so the idea that
>Humakt's just standing there passively while his brother is
>casting heal 6 repeatedly seems forced.

        Orlanth betrayed Humakt, misused death, and made a mess of the world. If Orlanth had not seen the secrets of Humakt's honor and justice (or, from an Orlanthi viewpoint, if Orlanth had not proved to his ex-brother that he satisfied Humakt's tests of honor and justice), then Humakt would have been justified in not letting Orlanth pass. Otherwise, you're writing a Humakti resurrection myth.

Peter Larsen