Great Gods

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 19:23:19 +1200

Herve Ancelin:

>I wonder who in Glorantha know the primal runes (for what they are) and the
>gods holding them.

The God Learners knew the thirty core runes (HW:RiG p160-2) and I've already quoted about a Jonstown Compendium Entry that speaks of the Gods who can't be killed without destroying the Cosmos.

>To come back to the relation between Great Gods and communities, the
>division in aspects devoted to social categories is a consequence of
>mortal inability to worship all aspects although they don't realize it.

I don't see any sign of division in Great God aspects to social categories. Orlanth has the aspects of Allfather, Adventurous and Thunderous, of which only one can said to be social (another is more like anti-social while the third is storm related). Shargash has two aspects (Destroyer and Purifier - neither which are "social"). Furthermore worshippers of Orlanth's aspects know that they both worship the same god.

If you meant the relationship of Yelm and Elmal (which appears in context), then Elmal is not an aspect of Yelm, given the definition of aspect in HW. But a cult could know that its power is derived from ultimately from a Great God without any problems. Good examples might be Yelmalio and Yelm or Esrola and Ernalda. But this knowledge isn't automatic.