Gods....

From: simonh_at_msi-uk.com
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 10:56:06 -0000

Peter Larsen :

> It's not really what I said; if the war gods are all faces of
one
>god, I see no reason why it would be Humakt, as gods Humakt dislikes
(Zorak
>Zoran) will be just as honored as Humakt. Anyway, speculating about
the
>Kingdom of War seems kind of fruitless, since there's not much to
prove one
>theory over another....

I don't recall any myths in which Humakt encounters Zorak Zoran, so I would
dispute that Humakt has any relationship with ZZ. His worshipers of course
may form whatever opinions they like about ZZ cultists and their religion.
This is a _very_ important distinction.

Trolls have a very different relationship with death, compared to humans.
To trolls death reunites the living with the dead, whereas to humans it seperates them. This says as much, or more about the nature of trolls
than it does about death.

Peter Larsen :

> I don't like this much. It suggests that the Lunars are
doomed from
>the outset, which doesn't make for great dramatic tension....

It depends how you read King of Sartar,
and also on what you mean by 'Lunars'.
Nick's website has good stuff on this.

I think the dramatic tension comes from the human stories that are caught up in the drama. Final doom that cannot be escaped is a common feature of real world mythologies - Norse, Aztecs, Hidus, Judeo-  and many others believe that the current cosmos will ultimately be destroyed. The lunar religion is explicitly, obsessively cyclic. Many heroic myths are about bravely facing the inevitable, after all everything comes to an end eventualy. You're problem is you've contracted the Progress meme, which infects modern cuture.

> Sigh. It wasn't really my intention when this started.... And
my
>head does hurt, so that shows you what intentions are worth.

This is the story of the digest ;)

Simon Hibbs