Which is the Greatest God of all?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 23:16:42 +1200

Peter Larsen:

>[...] my intention was to suggest if there were "3 Big Air Gods" (like
>there are many "Big Sun Gods"), their worshippers wiould not necessarily
>recognize [that one of them was a great god].

Well in the case of Elmal, Yelm and Somash, people might come to this conclusion based on the fact that Elmal is inferior to Orlanth, Somash's worshippers think he's a manifestation of an even bigger non-sun god and that Yelm's cult has a wide range of aspects and inferior to nobody.

This exercise is much trickier with Storm Gods since Urox is also a spirit (and thus an in-Betweener and not a Great god), Kolat is wholly a spirit and everybody else is minor.

So we've only got Orlanth and Entekos (Dorburdon being her servant and guardian and thus Not Big). Entekos only has two aspects (Virtue and Right Air) so on that ground, Orlanth is ahead (Thunderous, Adventurous and Allfather) and thus Bigger.

However I believe Gloranthan magic investigators are much more likely to use something like the RuneQuest Sight to determine which God is the biggest.