A Pot of Message

From: robert darvall <Robert.Darvall_at_general.monash.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 23:20:33 +1000

Peter Larsen
> Simon Hibbs says:
>
> >I think Heortling beliefs about ... and the ...the bloodline are imporant here. A man's son is the flesh of his flesh,...

Personally I would add spirit in here. An old hobby horse but: Those who recognise you as kin (blood relo or not) are of more importance than the relo's that outlawed you (cf digests passim) Where this puts Heler vs Urox is probably why we game.

>... suggests that the Lunars are doomed from
> the outset, which doesn't make for great dramatic tension....if the >Lunar plans are inherently unworkable, then it makes the life and death >struggle in Dragon Pass sort of anticlimactic.

You ain't been in too many life & death struggles in the last bit? Even the "forgone conclusions" are pretty bloody exiting for them in the middle.

>...but I could buy the second one -- the world needs rebooting.

What? Even if they only think they can reboot without wiping the whole operating system? For my tuppence thats how it goes. The red mob think they can pull it off but don't know the law of unintended consequences i.e.: they gurk their own gods along with everyone else's. Problem is (in line with the repeating motifs of Arkat/Argrath) beating them has the same effect.

> Alex Ferguson says:
>
> >They're obviously not "part of" the "Heortling Humakt";..., or however you'd want to characterise it.
>
> It would be nice if it was called something besides Humakt, then,

My vote for > >"the transcendent power of biting the big one" But that may be bourbon whimsy.(Whisky?)

Peter Larsen
> ...The other tricky thing is the general tendency to slip into >Heortling-thought...

Not biased by the game system of course.

Simon Hibbs

>>...Restore Morale from the Protection affinity.

> Both of which are usefull in a war leader, but next to useless
> for the day to day business of running a clan.

Dunno about that. Drought stricken or otherwise plagued rural communities can always benefit from an a morale boost. Yes I'm one of those Aussie masochists who's lived west of the Divide. Which doesn't mean I don't agree with:
> Of course there can be exceptions, but they aren't sustainable..
- -

> They are conquerors and empire builders, so they're bound to think in
> those terms. ... When she does, they will be stuffed.

But then so will the conquered & bricked in cf. illiteracy era. Does it matter if your people live in poverty if they are still the wealthiest on the lozenge? The goddess don't care; she's moved on. Which kicks off the thought; If Rufelza et al have moved on who fills the power vacuum? Glorantha seems to be rarely without an empire in Genertela.
Is it a case of West v Argrath, Peloria being a frozen waste? This would imply that Orlanth failed Humakt's tests the second time round, an empire of Orlanthi being an oxymoron. Lokymayadon has already tried that & failed as a cat herd & the EWF owed their primary allegience to Dragons

Hold! Enough!