Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #505

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 09:44:43 -0500

Peter Metcalfe says:

>There is a big difference between ruling the space between
>heaven and earth and ruling the element of air. The Lunars
>are actually attempting to rule "the Middle Heavens" CoP p40.

        Good point. So she's pushing Orlanth from his place, not from his nature.

>>Well, if Humakt appears in Pelorian mythology as Urnbudud,
>>wouldn't that make him part of all the gods, etc. killed by
>>Shargash before he died himself?
>
>If Urbudud/Humakt is Death (or at least its theistic manifestation,
>then how can Shargash kill it let alone die after killing it?

        "Urnbudud be not proud, though some have called thee mighty and dreadful...." Ah. You meant Urnbudud=Death, not Urbudud is the Pelorian name for the Heortling god Humakt. Assuming you meant the former, I'd suppose it was a mystery of the Shargash religion.

        Anyway, looking at GRoY, it looks to me that Urnbudud is more likely violence than death, as it's associated with Dorburdun, Vadrus, and Orlanth who are not death (and, as far as I know, don't have death connections).

>Yes. But the Orlanthi deny Yelm as the Sun and vice versa.
>They probably have no one way of explaining the Sun worship
>of the Pelorians. From Storm Tribe, they could say that
>the Pelorians worship the sacred torch that Orlanth bore
>from the Underworld and which Elmal now carries. But there
>is no easy way for an Elmali to investigate this problem
>without seemingly converting.

        Very good, and I like it. It makes the problems of the Elmali much clearer for me. It does, however, support my thought that there is a quality of Sun-ness "above" Yelm and Elmal (the mythical clade tree branches below both of them). Presumably, there is a quality of Air-ness "above" Orlanth, too. Even if he is the greatest and most wide-spread expression of Air and Storm, it ios possible to be a Storm god that does not partake of the nature of Orlanth of the Orlanthi, Allfather and cultural construct (at least in part). "The Air that can be seen is not the True Air."

Peter Larsen