Great[er] Gods, again.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 18:52:14 +0100 (BST)

Peter Larsen:
> It does, however, support my thought that there is a
> quality of Sun-ness "above" Yelm and Elmal

It's clearly a lot (lot, lot, lot) more similar to Yelm than it is to Elmal, though, by any objective measure. Yelm is worshipped in all sorts of guises, aspects and masks of the sun, all of which are still recognised as "Yelm". There aren't many attributes that Elmal possess, and Yelm lacks, which one could definitively say are "solar", though. (For example, Elmal's loyalty to Orlanth distinguishes him, but isn't a part of his "sun-ness", in any obvious sense.)

> Presumably, there is a quality of Air-ness "above" Orlanth, too.

Tarumath would be one's best bet (though one could quibble if he were in the strict sense "above" Orlanth, as opposed to being "higher"). In practice, though, Orlanth is clearly the one the money's on for almost all of myth and history for being the closest approximation to some (in effect largely notional) "Storm Rune Entity".

> Even if he is the greatest and most wide-spread
> expression of Air and Storm, it ios possible to be a Storm god that does
> not partake of the nature of Orlanth of the Orlanthi, Allfather and
> cultural construct (at least in part).

Depending on how one interprets that, that could mean almost any storm god that isn't recognised as an aspect of O.

> "The Air that can be seen is not the True Air."

Cos it's smog?