Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #506

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 16:57:14 -0500

Simon Hibbs says:

>Trolls have a very different relationship with death, compared to
>humans.
>To trolls death reunites the living with the dead, whereas to humans
>it seperates them. This says as much, or more about the nature of
>trolls
>than it does about death.

        Granted, but it doesn't change the lack of Humnakti dominance in the Kingdom of War (that anyone has mentioned). Anyway, it's not the Kingdom of Death....

>I think the dramatic tension comes from the human stories that are
>caught up in the drama. Final doom that cannot be escaped is a common
>feature of real world mythologies

        Yeah, but Ragnarok doesn't come about because Odin is a moron or takes ridiculous chances. I can see the goals of the goddess diverging from her Empire and that leading to doom; surely the White Moon cannnot be denied. The Lunars just being wrong sound like Orlanthi-centrism to me.

>You're problem is you've contracted the Progress meme, which
>infects modern cuture.

        Not quite. I simply believe that the Lunars wouldn't base their entire strategy on a really bad idea. The Lunars deserve their chance to be right. Otherwise, the Orlanthi win (sort of) not because of their courage and the efforts of thousands of unsung heroes but because of fate. They might as well have stayed home.

>This is the story of the digest ;)

        Talk about inescapable dooms....

Peter Larsen