Re: What's So Great About Vinga

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 22:01:11 +0100 (BST)

John Hughes on Vingadar, Vingandrin, and her merry band of sisters...
> The gateway aspects of Vinga were part of Greg's vision for Vinga.

OK, I confess to briefly forgetting about your nefarious co-author.

> When the issue was first raised on the HW List, Greg modified the
> guidelines by explicitly excluding some Allfather subcults. However,
> this hasn't made the Storm Tribe errata. Go figure, and rejoice...

Well, as I said, I wouldn't have done it quite like that myself...

I think there clearly are cults which replicate (or gateway to) the "all male" functions of Orlanth. I just don't think it's generically Vinga. (OTOH, one might argue that the simplest explanation for, say, Kallyr, is precisely along those lines, as regards her chieftain, queen (and general leadership) abilities. In fact, that part of the "gateway" seems a little _more_ natural than say, Vingan lawspeakers and stormvoices, but maybe I'm just highly suggestible...)