Great Gods

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 12:42:23 +1200

Peter Larsen:

>The cool thing about Orlanth, though, is unlike most of his
>brothers (most gods, really), his movement powers let him change. I can
>accept that this is how the Humakti see it, but it would be weird if the
>Orlanthi central mysteries had (one of) the most vital lesson of their god
>enforced by someone else.

But it's not Orlanth's central mystery we are talking about, but a central mystery of _Humakt_. And by having Orlanth redeem himself without Humakt's intervention cheapens the "most vital lesson". Ergo Orlanth had to be forcibly redeemed by Humakt.

The fact that the Orlanthi see it differently is neither here or there. Given that the Orlanthi and Yelmites do not agree on when Orlanth redeemed himself either so why should the Orlanthi and Humakti have a complete and clear understanding on when Orlanth redeemed himself?

> >Why? AFAIK there's no problem in the case of Orlanth, Yelm or
> >the Red Goddess being Great Gods....

>It's not a question of being a great god; it's a question of being
>the whole expression of that quality or Power.

I am getting a bit frustrated by having to repeat this, but we are _not_ talking about this. With Great Gods, the topic is the _theistic_ expression of that quality or Power while the Spirits and Essences can go hang.

>If Yelm is the Sun, all other sun gods depend from him, which
>they don't seem to.

It depends on what you mean by this. If you mean that solar worshippers all over the world _must_ recognize that the greatest Sun God is Yelm of Dara Happa then such is not the case. It merely means that the solar worshippers must recognize a solar deity greater than their own as being the Great God, _if_ their own god is not Yelm under another name.

Teshnos (I boobooed this before) worships the Sun by the name of Somash, Lodril by the name of Solf and Shargash by the name of Tolat (They also know Dayzatar as Zitro Argon but he's a mystical entity rather than a Great God).

The Teshnans do not acknowledge that Somash is inferior to Yelm of Dara Happa etc, because they know that Somash is the Great God. If confronted by the example of Yelm, they will conclude that Yelm is really Somash in disguise or that it is a perverted worship of Somash. If confronted by the example of Elmal, they will conclude that he is a lesser god of light but deny that he and Somash are equivalent.

If there were worshippers of a Lesser Sun God in and around Teshnos (perhaps among the Yellow Elves), they will acknowledge their god's inferiority to Somash but will have some valid reason for not worshipping Somash.

>Silimalrly, if Humakt is Death, one would expect all death gods
>to have similar approaches and qualities, which they don't.

Simply because they have different runes than Humakt, perhaps? Urox doesn't have a disorder rune for nothing, y'know.

>So one assumes there is a more basic Death that Humakt himself
>depends from.

Humakt is the most primal theistic form of death. If there is anything higher, then it is not capable of theistic manifestation.

> >I fail to
> >see the point about the privileged worldview. All the Orlanthi
> >are getting is Orlanth's biased viewpoint about the way the
> >Cosmos should be (and this is true for other Great Gods).

>If I'm living off in Vithela, and I worship a god of the
>Storm, I'm not somehow worshipping Orlanth.

In worshipping Veldru, you are still worshipping Orlanth collaterally. See the excerpt that Herve Ancelin quoted before. Orlanth is an enemy god to the Vithelan Pantheon and known to them as Bitador or Serakaru.