Great Gods

From: Olli Kantola <nysalor_at_lyyra.kempele.fi>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 17:36:02 +0300 (EEST)

I don't think that Yelm, as a great god of his element, is the source of other solar powers, but the idea that a great god as the most prominent god of its type has a deeper ghasp of those truths associated with its rune. It is only reasonable that Orlanth, the storm that is most universally recognized by theists, has more universal associations with the element. However Orlanth isn't the source of storm and Yelm isn't the source of fire. They both are the current holders of those runes, just as the good old GL sages observed. So... it could be said that Yelm is closest to the solar secrets and his culture understands this to mean Aether.

Why couldn't there be different markes of great godhood? In the past holding a rune sufficed, then at one time you needed a certain number if worshipers (divine mechanics disagree with this one) and nowadays a sure way to qualify is to be the main god of an entire culture. I'm sure that a god needs to be pretty significant in order to be great, but that can come in many forms.

Olli Kantola

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #510