Goodness Gracious! Great Gods of Glorantha

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 18:46:21 EDT

In a message dated 02/09/01 21:08:02, you write: Peter
<< >It's not a question of being a great god; it's a question of being
>the whole expression of that quality or Power.
Another Peter:
 I am getting a bit frustrated by having to repeat this, but  we are _not_ talking about this. With Great Gods, the topic  is the _theistic_ expression of that quality or Power while  the Spirits and Essences can go hang.

I am not entirely sure we are strictly speaking of Theists, afterall the list in the Runequest Companion includes the Cosmic Dragon, Hykim, Daka Fal, the Horned God, Malkion, Kyger Litor, Eurmal, Aldrya, Mostal, Arachne Solara. Hardly Theistic entities. Magasta, Orlanth, Ernalda, Yelm, Humakt, Uleria, Chalana Arroy, I admit are heavily into theism. I don't know where Wakboth fits as an anti-Great God but I'm sure you see my point.

I really don't see any reason for anyone in Glorantha to know for sure who is and isn't Great, (except the Tiger Hsunchen who know that their patron is "Grrrrrrrrreat!"). Sure Godlearners can have theories - "If we destroy Aldrya then the Cosmos will be strained unto destruction...lets try it!" but who is going to test them?

Any smart alec who replies "The Lunars!" might be onto something.

I see the Hero Wars definition of Great Gods as being a bit different, and probably not too useful (IMO). We might be better listing theistic cultures in Glorantha and then deciding their Great God/Gods:

Dara Happa - Yelm
Barbarian Belt - Orlanth and Ernalda
Fonrit - if theistic? - Ompalam? struggling a bit on this Teshnos - ? Zitro Argon a.k.a. Dayzatar Kralorela - ? - I guess the gods might be viewed as aspects of the Cosmic Dragon?
Trolls - Kyger Litor
getting less theistic now...
Aldryami - Aldrya
Mostali - Mostal
Westerners - Malkion

Anyone else care to make a more accurate/complete list?

Keith Nellist