Veldru and Orlanth

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 23:21:52 +1200

Peter Larsen:

> >In worshipping Veldru, you are still worshipping Orlanth
> >collaterally. See the excerpt that Herve Ancelin quoted
> >before. Orlanth is an enemy god to the Vithelan Pantheon
> >and known to them as Bitador or Serakaru.

>This may be so (actually, apparently it _is_ so, more's the pity),
>but I the Vithelan wouldn't know it.

You could. You might just not care. Many Vithelan deities have their origins in the tribe of the Antigods, a fact that does not bother their worshippers.

>If it was suggested, I'd deny it (knowing Storm worshippers,
>probably violently). The only way I'd be likely to discover
>it would be through the most intense heroquests, and the result
>of that would be a crises of faith. "Oh hell, I've been
>worshipping a demon all along."

Let's get this straight, the Veldru worshipper is not worshipping a demon and they do not give a damn about paternity. What matters to them is whether their god is counted in the tribe of the Gods.

>If worshipping Elmal is supporting Yelm, and that's easy to
>figure out, why in the world would any Heortling worship Elmal?

Because they have no choice? If you can't worship the Sun because he inadvertently strengthens the evil emperor, who else are you going to worship? Like it or not, the Emperor is allowed to exist because of the Cosmic Compromise and he's agreed to allow some storm worship in his lands.