Re: God Learners and Shargash

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 20:01:30 +0100 (BST)

Peter Metcalfe:

> Subject: God Learners and Shargash
>
> Alex Ferguson:
>
> >One might suppose that if the God Learners were more familiar with
> >Shargash, they'd have been slower to decide Humakt was the "owner" of
> >death.
>
> They did know of Tolat.
>
> >(Or knowing said cheeky chappies, they'd have promptly tried
> >to combine the two.)
>
> Death and Destruction are distinguished on their core runes
> list.

Destruction isn't on the list of Core Runes in HW:RiG, and I hesitate to speculate to whether you're referring to another rune-set, or a rune listed there by another name. While Shargash has his own rune, I'd have said that Shargash's primary "core rune" association was clearly Death.

Since neither "Shargash" (or indeed "Tolat") or "Destruction" appear on the RQ3 list of Great Runes and Greater Gods, you're implicitly appealing, it would seem, to the RQ3 definition of "Greater God", modified/extended to the HW rune list. Which would be an interesting exercise, but not something one can take for granted, I don't think.

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #513