Re: Great Gods & High Gods & Vithelan Gods

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 22:00:24 +0100 (BST)

Nils Weinander:
> Maluraya, the Vithelan sun god, is not a High God. But it
> seems right for the mystically inclined Vithelans not to
> connect the high gods (directly) with physical phenomena.
> Other cultures might think otherwise. A hint is that the
> God Learners equated Kralorelan TarnGatHa with Aether, and
> TarnGatHa occupies much the same cosmogonical position as
> Vith.

None of those have much of an physical manifestation, though. They all have vague sky-ish associations, to a greater or lesser extent, but not so much in the sense of "being" the sky, as being the power _behind_ it (thus not in the inner world at all).

> Looking to the real world for a parallell (perilous, I
> know), indian Vishnu, who bears more than a passing
> resemblance to Vith, also has a sun god aspect.

Right. Manifestations of manifestations, and so on... If one wanted to add a RW-like amount of confusion, one might even have a High God and a (mere) God with the same name, which just that sort of connection.

> > Though my favourite has to be
> > The Great Orange...
>
> The latter is not very high godly for sure... (unless we
> attribute silliness to one of them) :-)

Maybe they have various trickster deities, all of which are seen as but manifestations of the High God of Silly...

> Karkal's Brazier is another epithet of the sun.

*polishes fingernails immodestly* ;-)

> Here we can actually be a bit less abstract as the East Isles
> has its own autonomous wind system which is independent of
> Orlanth's big world storm. So I assume that if you worship
> Veldru, the Vithelan wind god, you do _not_ give collateral
> worship to Orlanth.

I don't think that's quite true: Orlanth is both one particular storm (Ohorlanth), and the ruler of storms in general. So the "collateral impact" wouldn't be anything like as high as it would be if one worshipped the same physical manifestation -- but it wouldn't be none, either.