Great Gods list

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 12:29:18 +1200

Joerg Baumgartner:

>Me>Orlanthi: Orlanth (Storm), Ernalda (Earth), Humakt (Death),
> >Chalana Arroy (Fertility),

>Orthodoxically (GL) CA has Harmony...

Yup. It's also what I meant to write.

> >Eurmal (Illusion or Disorder),

>I agree with this deviation from the GL order of Runic associations.

I don't think that we ever will get a perfect match with their Runic Associations. Rather than make a decision about what Eurmal represents or try and pretend Dayzatar is still capable of theistic worship, I think it wiser to acknowledge them as imperfections.

>Three Lightbringers covered, three more to go (Ginna Jar as Mystic
>Principle excluded... maybe Flesh Man as Animist as well?)

Issaries has the communication rune and Lhankor has the truth rune. However they haven't been implied as Great Gods before (either in the RQ3 list or Gods of Glorantha) and so I refrained from listing them.

> >Furalor has a death rune yet her cult is different from Humakt's
> >and hence I inclined to make her a different aspect of death.

>Apart from her fire nature, Furalor appears to be "Death as gate to
>the next life", much like Ty Kora Tek/Asrelia.

Furalor isn't really that. The things that she devours are gone from this world unlike the Teshnans who die and come again.

>I'm a bit uneasy about making all known Teshan deities Great Gods
>- what is it that the Teshnans know "better" than the rest of the
>world?

They don't. They roughly have the same number of Great Gods as do the Dara Happans and the Orlanthi. One can dispute whether Calyz or Furalor really are Great Gods but we don't have enough information either way.

>And if Solf is Male Earth, Black Sun might as well...

No, even if you meant Zerel Fan as a whole. The Black Sun has the look and feel of a darkness deity (spiritual blindness) and the Blood Sun is connected with Blood, not Earth. Then there's the question about Zerel Fan's status as an anti-god (which means he lacks any connection to the transcendent).

> >Mostal (Stasis). I think there's a connection between the
> >Decamony to the Powers, thus Iron (Death), Tin (Life), Gold
> >(Truth), Quicksilver (Movement), Diamond (Law/Perfection)
> >but this exercise leads to procustean judgements and it's far
> >better to acknowledge that the connections are imperfect.

>Also, including Diamond and Iron makes that ten powers... Silver
>might be Illusion (temporal reality), but what's Disorder?

I don't know, which is why I said it was far better to acknowledge that the connections were imperfect.

>And anyway, these would be the cultural aspects of the Greater
>Principles.

"Cultural" sends the wrong message IMO. The manifestations that the Mostali work with (Iron etc) have real and concrete existence. Even if they are heretics, they would see the same thing.

>The Original Mostali and the Celestial Court (sort of) coexisted,
>so I hesitate to identify them too closely.

Although one might be able to point out old references that mention the Celestial Court and the Decamony in the same myth (i.e. Different Worlds #24), I think that was tainted by the God Learner monomyth.

There is an alternate possibility however. Following Zzabur's taxonomic descent of animals in Anaxial's Roster, one could also construct a similar taxonomy for minerals.

> >Zzabur (Magic), Zoamalos (Beast) from Anaxial's Roster,
> >Malkion (Law). [...]

>In which way is this different from Heler
>(water) or Elmal (sun) to the Orlanthi?

That they are sorcerous entities is the big difference. I've said before that I don't know enough about how Malkioni view the relationship between the primal runes and their saints (or philosophers for the atheists).