Re: Subject: Knowledge of Tones and Gods.

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 23:14:27 GMT

>From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
>
>Donald R. Oddy says:
>> The word Orlanth is used each time with a different tonal emphasis.
>
>Tones!? Is this an act of agigation in favour of the "Strong Swedish
>Model" for Sartar? (Or going the whole hog, and shooting for the
>Thai analogue?)

Swedish possibly. 'Tones' might be the wrong word. I was trying to get over the idea that any differences between "storm", "Orlanth", "Orlanth Rex" etc would be subtle and difficult to translate rather than the clear distinction there is in English. With the appropriate confusion possible for anyone who hasn't a mastery of the language.