Orlanthi

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 22:17:28 +1200

Peter Larsen:

> >The Orlanthi do not engage
> >in abstract thought about their religion. Hence it is not
> >required for to make their Storm God more potent.

>Oh come on; we know the Orlanthi have had periods of deeper
>philosophical speculation, and that has included the worship of
>Orlanth.

The only periods that I can think of are: the EWF (draconics and the only form of Orlanth they recognized is extinct) and the Empire of Light (Loko Moko, 'nuff said). I don't see how the philosophical speculations of these periods can be said to have improved Orlanthi religion as a whole.

Secondly you ignore that Orlanth's religion is a religion for his _people_ and not abstract-minded philosophers. Unless you seriously think that the latest philosophical speculation gets transferred down to the Barntari at the plough, I stand by my statement that since the Orlanthi do not engage in abstract thought about their religion, it is not required to make their storm god more potent.

> >But subcults do not deepen solar understanding. They only
> >add breadth, not depth. For example Anatyr's subcult only
> >shows only to apply Elmal's light to ruling a clan - it does
> >not deepen any insight into Elmal himself.

>Really. I would think that the discovery that Elmal can rule
>as well as follow would count as a deeper insight into Elmal (not
>into his Solar powers, but still).

I would consider a deeper insight as one that modifies his aspect. Subcults in general are applications of divine truth to the material world, not deep insights into a god's nature.

>That Elmal can be the husband of
>Ernalda (ie that Sun as well as Rain or Storm can fertilize the
>Earth) deepens my understanding of Elmal's Solar power....

How so? It only tells you something new about the effects of Elmal's light on the cosmos, it doesn't tell you anything you already knew about Elmal the God.

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #517