Vithelan cosmology

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 19:55:02 +1200

Joerg Baumgartner:

> >Then there's the question about Zerel Fan's status
> >as an anti-god (which means he lacks any connection to
> >the transcendent).

>Is that written in stone? I ask because the Vithelans have the "Noble
>Errors" as chiefs of the antigods, yet each representing the lead for
>one of the other magic systems and thereby to the Transcendent.

Cute answer: the Noble Errors have been rehabilitated and are no longer of the Tribe of Antigods.

Serious answer: The Vithelan cosmology really has two meanings for antigods (although they wouldn't know this). The first is any deity within its influence (i.e. from Kralorela to Vithelash) that lacks a connection to the Transcendent. The second includes any deity outside this region of influence that has a connection to the Transcendent that the Vithelans don't recognize (e.g. Orlanth).

The myth of the Noble Wrongs was a myth about how practitioners of foreign viewpoints became acceptable to Vith. I think it involved a rejection of their original linkage (i.e. for the Malkioni, this would be a rejection of the Invisible God) in favour of a Vith-approved linkage to the Transcendent.

>I suppose what is known as Chaos to Theyalans or Lunars has its
>transcendent connection as well.

AFAIK it doesn't.