Teshnan religion

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 20:01:49 +1200

Joerg Baumgartner

> >Furalor isn't really that. The things that she devours are gone
> >from this world unlike the Teshnans who die and come again.

>I'll have to reread what is known about her then. My database (and
>memory) still has her as goddess of funerals for all Teshnans.

Yeah but only the lifeflame is actually preserved between incarnations. Everything else is gone through Furalor's maw.

>Calyz and Solf would have been my prime candidates for omission of the
>Great Gods list. They are the most "human" of the Teshnan gods, and
>either could be regarded as the Teshnan version of Lodril/Turos/<insert
>fiery earth husband> (in different aspects).

I don't think lack of "humanity" has anything to do with Great Godhood. Orlanth and Lodril are very human yet this doesn't prevent them from being Great Gods.

As for dropping Calyz and Solf because they are incarnations of Lodril, I have different objections to each. Since Solf _is_ Lodril, he is a great god. One can't worship Lodril/Turos/Solf and not contact a great god. I do not regard Calyz as another form of Solf/Lodril simply because the Teshnans regard him as different.

> >>And if Solf is Male Earth, Black Sun might as well...

> >No, even if you meant Zerel Fan as a whole.

>I did, and wrote this away from my sources. I made this comparison
>because of Solf's ecstatic self-destruction side, which is only
>slightly more pleasant than Gerra's or what I suspect for Ignorance.

But Zerel Fan doesn't have an ecstatic self-destruction side and self-destruction isn't Solf's reason for existence.