Great Gods List

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2001 00:27:43 +1200

Joerg Baumgartner

>Understood. However, when I compared Ehilm to Elmal re: False Gods below
>I wondered why you were fairly free to assign a Great God-equivalent to
>most known Saints and False Gods there.

I didn't ascribe Great God equivalents to False Gods. I didn't assign a GGE for many runes because the names were either unknown or that the names were known to be False Gods. As for the Saints, I only speculated that Caste Founders would be GGEs.

> >That they are sorcerous entities is the big difference. I've
> >said before that I don't know enough about how Malkioni view
> >the relationship between the primal runes and their saints
> >(or philosophers for the atheists).

>They are of a different stage of Creation, the way I see them. Purely
>from memory, the Runes are 2nd Action, the Primal Philosophers or
>Saints/False Gods/Primal Entities 3rd or even 4th Action (since Ehilm,
>Genner, Worlath or Humct appear to be already parts of the multiplication,
>and the Malkioni Caste Saints mostly too).

The Primal Runes actually appear at the Saints Plane and is said to also be where the Saints also manifest at (HW:NB p28). One could infer that the Core Runes manifest at the Law Plane but this is only said to have one landmark, the Atom of Matter. So we don't really have much of an idea whether all runes/saints/great philosophers are equal.

>As I said before, I hesitate to let the Malkioni make too close a
>connection. The False Gods appear to have learned something akin
>to the Great Secrets of the known Great Gods of Theism, but that
>doesn't make them the origin.

I understand the False Gods to be the actual entities of the god and spirit planes. The Malkioni recall a time in their writings when they were all the same and then their natures diverged. The Malkioni attribute this to the Great Error and so label the entities with divergent natures as false gods.

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #521