Re: What's so great about Vinga

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 19:48:52 +0100 (BST)

Simon H replies to me:
> >I'm referring to Vinga's access to any given subcult of Orlanth,
> >which IIRC, includes the leadership functions.
>
> we were talking about whether Vinga the goddess is a great god and
> can form the basis of a society. If her cult has to explicitly
> sub-contract out it's rulership functions to aspects of Orlanth,
> then clearly she isn't.

I think "gateway" access isn't really paraphraseable as "subcontracting".   The practical upshot is that one could, in theory, have a clan (let us say) in which the warriors were all Vinga the Avengers, the chiefs were by long tradition Vingadar sub-cult members, and the chaps "all" worship Barntar. (Let's leave likelihood and pragmatics aside for a moment.) I don't think you can really say this isn't a Vinga leadership function, since Vingadar is just Orlanth in drag. Or at least, that seems to me to be a very odd way of looking at it.