Other otherworlds.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 21:10:51 +0100 (BST)

Charles Corrigan:
> This is another piece of evidence for my pet theory that the Mundane world
> was originally the Mystical otherworld.

This challenges the usual definition of the word "other", it must be said. ;-)

I tend to agree broadly with Simon on this one: mysticism tends to, to differing extents, "lump together" the inner world and the "conventional" otherworlds, especially in the sense that they are each not The Ultimate, and hence not to be accepted at face value. (He said, being as vague and generic as possible. Some mystical traditions have a somewhat "cafeteria" approach to the inner world _and_ to the other worlds.)

It's probably true to say that there are mystical traditions that see the mundane world as being less "fraught with error", and/or of more direct use in becoming liberated (or whatever) than the three otherworlds. But I can't think of a killer example off the top of my head.