Zorak Zoran the non-troll non-death nod-god.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 21:38:05 +0100 (BST)

Svechin:
> Shargash has dissolution as his primary mystical component.

I think the word "mysticism" should be banned from this thread, if only for the sake of my sanity...

> Shargash destroys, even souls, which is not the same thing as the seperation
> of Humakt. This in many ways brings up the interesting possibility of a link
> to Zorak Zoran rather than the Storm Gods.

It rather suggests to me that he's manifesting a power that would be seen, at least in Heortling eyes, as chaotic. (Evidently the Pelorians have a different perception of Chaos, so this isn't to say that Shargash is "a Chaos god" in any internal sense.)

> The strange thing about ZZ is
> that he is not actually a troll and has never been seen as one, and his
> followers in Troll society are considered very odd indeed, apart from the
> mainstream. Where does ZZ come from? His capacity for destruction and the
> conquest of death seems similar to that of some aspects of Shargash.

If one follows this line of thought too far, one concludes that as a troll death god, ZZ is a bit like the Holy Roman Empire...

Clearly ZZ is npt seen as a KL descendent, so is in that sense "not a troll". He's still worshipped and depicted in troll form, though (IIRC). Your statement about "the conquest of death" is more than a little vague; I don't see any clear similarity to Shargash that would be described by this.

> This ties in to the link created by Yelmalio at the Hill of Gold. ZZ
> and Shargash both killed a solar deity and the region is suspiciously
> close to Alkoth.

This convinces me of, if nothing else, the definition of "Great[er] God than dare not speak its name", to wit, that an aspect of it is "contains more, and more confusing a set of attributes than one can shake a stick at"...