Uz and Sounds

From: bjm10_at_cornell.edu
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 12:18:22 -0400 (EDT)

Bits and pieces:

Human perception is more of a function of the intellect than of the "senses". We constantly filter out "extraneous" information. Humans who have difficulty with this are often judged "insane". I would posit that Uz have similar filtering ability in regards to the Darksense of other Uz.

Just as humans can be blinded (either temporarily or permanently) to some degree or another, by very bright light, Uz should be darkblinded by very loud sound. Any sound that can "deafen" a human can certainly cause problems for Darksense.

_Microchiropidae_ (if one is going to use the neo-Linnean, remember to
indicated underline/italicization) are not the only animals that use sonar. Indeed, if any animals are a better model for Darksense than the
_Microchiropidae_, it would be those _Cetacea_ that have better-developed
sonar, like the Beluga whale. Unlike the _Microchiropidae_, cetacean sonar is not a direct function of the vocal tract. Instead, it uses a large, bulbuous, fatty organ near (but behind) the snout--on the top of the head. The Uz equivalent would be its own snout, which I have always portrayed in my own campaign as being able to be intentionally deformed for the purposes of searching (much as the Beluga whale does). Some cetaceans have refined their sonar to the point of using it as a weapon against fish. Perhaps there are a couple of Uz hero cults that teach this secret for Darksense.

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #526