More Ultimate than Yours

From: Greg Stafford <greg_at_glorantha.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 09:59:48 -0700

>> > He's a part of it, and the route to it. But I don't think he _is_
>> > it. (Or only one defined mighty funny.)
>>
>> According to non-pure mystic Vithelan theology, I think he is.
>> I think Vithelan theists say that mystics find the Ultimate
>> through Oorduren.
>
>I think this perhaps just proves that ya pays yer Hero Points, and
>ya takes yer Ultimate choice... I think there's a strong whiff of
>"some Ultimates are more Ultimates than others" about the above.

The conflict of what the Absolute really is occurs in several forms in Glorantha, just as it does here. But the earliest, core deifiniton of the Absolute stands:

Mysticism recognizes three states of being. All the religions and philosophies recognize the first two. Only mysticism recognizes the third. The physical state
is Glorantha. It is the place we all know. It is the objective world and includes everything that can be discerned with the senses. Its characteristic is to be objectivly measurable. It changes within the context of time. That is, the table will be a table tomorrow, with the same measurements and characteristics, except for what happens with age. The nonphysical state
is everything else. It includes everything that does not have a physical form. Its characteristic is malleability, so that nothing is ever guaranteed to be the same. It can discern patterns, interpret information, have ideas, express truths, prove opposites to be true, create complete fabrications, dream, haunt and receive us after death. These are the Otherworlds.
The mystical state
is everything that is neither physical nor nonphysical. No one can understand this, because it is beyond understanding, which is of the nonphysical realm. No one can experience this, because it is beyond experience, which is of the material realm. It's called the Absolute.